Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Machu Picchu


Jungle Inca Trail - 4 day 3 night hike to Machu Picchu... easily the hardest thing I have ever done, but well worth it. The first day you are driven to the top of a mountain and spend the day biking downhill... just exhilarating! Definitely enjoy the scenery.

Day 2 made me want to die. Granted I got altitude sickness, throbbing head ache, dizziness, nausia... the works. It was NOT fun. I spent the entire day asking myself "Why?"... "Why did I think this was going to be fun? I am not a hiker." We hiked up and over a mountain before lunch. Hiking up knee high stone steps mind you... and on the smallest trail I have ever scene. However, the day did end at these AH-MAZING hot springs. Couldn't have had a better end to the day.

Day 3 we hiked along these train tracks to Aqua Caliente... the town below Machu Picchu. Day 3 was actually really easy, however I wish it wasn't along the train tracks cause I spent the whole day looking at the tracks trying not to fall instead of enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Finally Day 4 was spent at Machu Picchu. We woke up before dawn to be one of the first 400 people in the park so we could get a ticket to Waynapicchu, which I highly recommend. Words can't express how awe inspiring Machu Picchu is. A mountain top paradise. The Inca were truly an amazing culture. Pictures do not do it justice. Seeing the clouds slowly reveal this ancient civilization on top of the world was a sight I will never forget. And finally climbing Waynapicchu, where more ruins await you is a MUST. I found this quiet little corner where I sat at the edge of a cliff admiring Machu Picchu below, alone with my thoughts, nothing but silence. It was a perfect moment.



No comments: