Monday, June 9, 2008

Review of The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

I think every body knows about The Chronicles of Narnia where it would be a waste of my time to write a review, even though these reviews are mostly for me.  Basically C.S. Lewis is a genius and wrote seven children's books using a fictional world to explain his views about Christianity.  Let me tell you,  I had some very deep questions that were brilliantly answered through a children's story.  

First of all, even if you aren't Christian you should read these books if you are a child or like fantasy.  They are great fun and fantastically engaging.  

With that said, I want to point out some incredible insights that Lewis made in this series.  He did a beautiful description of the beginning and end of Narnia that was to symbolize the beginning and end of the earth as described in the Bible. 

Next there was a passage that gave the best answer to anyone who says that God doesn't exist.  In the book The Silver Chair, the witch is putting a spell on the creatures of Narnia trying to tell them that it doesn't exist and that Alsan (represents God) doesn't exist either.  One of the characters finally says to the witch:

"So I won't deny any of what you said.  But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself.  Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones.  suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world.  Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one.  Ant that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it.  We're just babies playing a game and can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow.  That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world.  I'm on Aslan's side even if there is no Aslan to lead it.  I'm going to live as a Narnian as I can even if there is no Narnia."

To the disbelievers... I say this is much the same way C.S. Lewis has described in his novel; I know there is a God and I believe in Him fully and will live my life as a Christian because even if it is all a "dream" and "made-up", its a hell of a lot better then a life with no faith. 

Another question that has taunted my mind has been whether Christianity is the only way to Heaven.  It's hard to be a true Christian and not believe that, but there are so many amazing people on this earth that aren't Christian and I couldn't imagine not going to heaven.  Well C.S. Lewis put it perfectly again.  He used a Calormen (non-Narnian who worshiped another God) as an example.  This man was a good man and spent his life worshiping Tash (who really was a demon) but doing good deeds in his name and spending his life in search for him.  In the afterlife he met Aslan and this is what happened:

"I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash.  He answered, Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me.  Then by reasons of my great desire for wisdom and understanding, I overcame my fear and questioned the Glorious One and said, Lord, is it then true that thou and Tash are one? The Lion growled so that the earth shook and said, It is false. Not because he and I are one, but because we are opposites, I take to me the services which thou hast done to him.  For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him.  Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me that he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted. Dost thou understand child? I said, Lord, thou knowest how much I understand.  But I said also, yet I have been seeking Tash all my days.  Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly.  For all find what they truly seek."

Wisdom like this is found on every page of this series and is good for children and adults the same.  It is a true classic that should be read by all.

No comments: