Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blankets have magical powers

On a hot summer night, do you ever sacrifice your comfort to keep your blanket covering your body, even though you are sweating into your sheets, because you feel unprotected without it? Like it's mere presence on your body provides some sort of shield from anything out there that might want to harm you. And you know, as you get older you allow one leg to drift out from underneath it's protective forces to help cool you down, because hey... your an adult now and are no longer scared of the dark right?

I know.. me too! (You might be thinking that as an adult you should be able to remove the blanket all the way in order to achieve a comfortable sleeping temperature, but this is not the case my friend. Even adults need protection too. Some things you don't quite grow out of.)

Rationally, I know that this is ridiculous. First of all there is probably nothing out there that is gonna "get me" and even if there was, not like a blanket, some cotton and feathers woven together, is going to deter it. Right? But for some reason, no matter what, I need my blanket covering me. I'll remain hot all night. I'll toss and turn. I'll go with out sleep. But I will not... I repeat NOT remove my comforter.

Maybe that is why they call it a "comforter". I have never really thought of it before this moment. But it truly does comfort me. And what is that about? A blanket can provide protection.... utter nonsense. I know this. And yet, I will continue to remain beneath the magical fortress of my bedspread, protected during the night from all evil. Laugh if you will, but I bet on the inside you are thinking "I know what you mean".

No comments: