Friday, September 3, 2010

Opportunities... Blessing or curse?

Everyone always thinks that opportunities are great, and they are. I mean opportunity implies something favorable, hence the definition:

op·por·tu·ni·ty [op-er-too-ni-tee, -tyoo-]
–noun, plural -ties.
1. an appropriate or favorable time or occasion: Their meeting afforded an opportunity to exchange views.
2. a situation or condition favorable for attainment of a goal.
3. a good position, chance, or prospect, as for advancement or success.

But what if opportunities in excess is not necessarily a good thing. Take my generation, we can be summed up as indecisive. We are getting married later in life. We are taking longer to get into our careers. We are moving back home after college, or traveling instead of entering the work force. We are working for a couple years only to find out we don't like the path we have chosen, but can't think of what it is we want to do... so we go to grad school to buy some time.

In some ways I think it is better to decide your life path later... but maybe that is because I am part of this undecisive and procrastinating generation. I would rather figure out the right path later then venture on the wrong one and figure it out too late. But that is me.

I believe it stems from having too many opportunities. We live in the land of opportunities and are brought up on the notion that we can do what ever we want to do. We can accomplish what ever we want to accomplish. And this is because we are 80's babies... born and raised during our countries best and most productive years.

But with that thought ingrained in us... "you can do whatever you want to do" ... makes our minds go crazy with the possibilities. So with the "can" part out of the way, now it is just "want". What do you want to do? I mean can ANYONE say what they want to do for the rest of their life at 22 years old. I mean there are literally millions of types of jobs. How am I to pick one and know that that is the one that would make me the most happy.

Past generations didn't have to think this way. It was more "what can I do to make the most money". That is a more obtainable goal in a job hunt. What job can I personally do that will make me the most money. Money is a number, it is tangible... it is one variable that is constant. Happiness or success, which is what we are dealing with, is a much flakier subject. It also always goes hand in hand with the "what ifs". Money-wise... you always know. If I take this job I will make this much money, and if I take this job I will make this much money. But you can't determine beforehand how happy a job will make you.

It might seem ungrateful and "please-feel-sorry-for-me" but it is kind of true. In one way my generation is extremely blessed. Most of us can literally do whatever we want. There are no constraints or limitations besides the ones we give our selves. But on the other hand it creates a new dilemma of indecisiveness. Like for example... arranged marriage. Now I don't think it is right, but when people have arranged marriages it takes the choice away. The decision is not up to you so you have to make due with what you get. And you work really hard to make it work. Those people are married their whole lives and are usually happy enough. Where now, you can marry whoever you want, and there is the notion of "the one" and "soul mates". And now people are getting married later or not at all and divorce rates have soared. Why? Partly because of opportunities. More opportunities for different mates and more opportunities to get out of a marriage.

Just saying... opportunities might not ALWAYS be a good thing.

No comments: