Monday, September 20, 2010

I say Janelle, You hear Gina

So apparently in non-English speaking countries Janelle translates into Gina. It's a little bizarre. All through out my travels, when ever I am in a non-English speaking country and I introduce myself people assume my name is Gina.

"Hello, my name is Janelle."
"Gina?"
"No, Janelle"
"Gina?"
"No Ja-nell... Ja-nell"
"Gina?"
"Yeah ok, Gina it is."

The first time I encountered this was in Italy, so I just assumed it was something with the Italian accent and the inability to say Janelle. However, it was the same in Spain, France, Germany, Tanzania, Peru and Costa Rica.

You could say that it has something to do with latin languages... Italian, French, Spanish... even German, but Swahili?? I mean what is it with the name Janelle that is so difficult? It's has gotten to the point where I just introduce myself as Gina to foreigners.

Gina also doesn't even sound like Janelle. They are completely different names. The only similarities is the beginning sound. I just think it's weird, that's all.

No comments: