Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dancing with the Stars

I apologize to everyone that likes and watches this show, but I can't stand it. Until recently I had refused to watch it because I feel that it almost makes fun of the other reality competition shows that are so dear to my heart. So you think you can dance, American Idol, America's Best Dance Crew.... I just love these shows. And here lies my problem with DWTS... what the hell are they competing for? What does the winner get? Why are the competitors doing the show? Well let me tell you, there is one answer for all three questions and that is "money". Where as SYTYCD, AI and ABDC are all competing for their life long dreams. They fly across the country to try out to be on the show, they work their entire lives for an opportunity that these shows offer them, and the winner?... well you get to watch someone's dream literally come true on live TV. You get to see someone who has worked their entire lives towards something and witness the moment they achieve it. Ladies and gentleman THAT is good TV. Dancing with the stars is NOT. Watching some D-list celebrities destroy classic dances to make a few bucks? No thank you.

I finally gave in to watch an episode, mostly because I love Evan Lysacek (I'm a huge olympics fan!), and it was just excruciating watching the dances. They were TERRIBLE. Maybe I caught a bad episode, but it literally hurt me to watch. I had to turn away from the screen.

So I conclude... let's keep the competition shows to people who actually WANT to compete... not somewhat famous people who are asked and paid to do it. Let's save the dancing for people who actually know how to dance. Here's a vote for the dreamers, for giving nobodies a chance to shine... for discovering talent in the low corners of this country so we can later enjoy their art. Thank you AI for giving us Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry. Thank you ABDC for discovering the Jabbawockeez... they are truly amazing! And thank you to SYTYCD for showing the world the talents of Nick Lazzarini, Travis Wall, Jeanine Mason, Joshua Allen and Katie Shean as well as all of the world class choreographers. Mia Michaels... I am in awe of every one of your dances!

No comments: